Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

My Birthday in Beirut

Two days ago I celebrated my 23rd birthday here in Lebanon. The day before my birthday I was feeling a little down because I wouldn't be able to celebrate my birthday in the usual fashion. For as long as I can remember, in my house birthdays have been celebrated the same way. If it's your birthday you get to have your favorite meal for dinner and your choice of dessert. Every year it's the same, Tabba, Dad, and Matt have steak on their birthdays, Liz wants crab-legs and Red Velvet cake, cheesecake for Amber's birthday and me...I always have bbq chicken, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese and strawberry cupcakes. While I was going to miss chicken and cupcakes, the fact that this would be the first birthday I'd ever spent away from my family was what really had me down.
My friends here knew that I was bummed about being away from home for my birthday so they tried really hard to make my birthday great. And they did!

So how did we celebrate?

I was surprised in Arabic class with the most amazing cheesecake I've ever eaten.
I got a beautiful vase of flowers. I was really excited, and I LOVED them!
I got an Amazon gift card that I am going to use to buy some books for my Kindle that I've really been wanting.
Dinner at TGI Fridays. Yay American food!
A nice nighttime walk in downtown Beirut.
I took my first service (like service but with a french accent) I'll explain service in another post but it's basically like a taxi.
Strawberry cake with cream cheese icing (my favorite!) and some pretty intense firecracker candles on top. My friends here are so wonderful.
Karaoke at Hard Rock Cafe. So much fun!
We ended the night with some homemade apple pie (so American) that my roommates made because they knew I was missing home.

While nothing could replace being at home with my family it turned out to be a really incredible birthday. Thank you Beirut for a great time!