Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Dogs, Slides, and Children

Today I saw a dog being pushed down a children's plastic slide. This is strange for a few different reasons. First, it was a dog being forced down a slide. I say forced because it was pretty obvious that he didn't like it. Second, rarely are dogs seen here in Lebanon. We live in city, so it makes sense that I might not see as many dogs as I'm used to seeing around Fair Play but I've been told that dogs are rare in all parts of Lebanon. What isn't rare are cats. That's right...cats. Cats are everywhere you go here. On the street, on college campuses, at the park. Everywhere. And lots of them. Not like an atrocious amount where you can't walk without stepping on them, but there are a lot. If you ever wanted a cat, you could find one.
Another thing I don't see very often are children. They do exist here...I think, but kids do not come into the city often (unless they're selling Chiclets). An American friend from my Arabic class has two little boys. Everyone here loves them and are always trying to touch them. Both of the boys have light hair and blue eyes. I guess that seems pretty exotic to the dark hair, dark eyed Lebanese.
So in short, it's not everyday that you get to see a dog on a slide in Lebanon but today was that day.